This post is from contributor Megan Zechman.
Are you looking for something that your children can give to friends and family this holiday season that is meaningful, yet frugal? Consider having them create small chalk art gifts. Your loved ones will appreciate the thought and will remember your family as they decorate their homes.
This year our family decided to combine our passion for chalk art with our love of crafting by creating these mini framed canvases.
I found the 3″ x 3″ squares and the cute easels at Michaels.
We chose a small-sized project for practical reasons.
- It takes a minimal amount of time to create.
- It is easy to ship if necessary.
- It requires little room to display.
How to Create Mini Canvas Chalk Pastel Art
We turned to our friends at Southern Hodgepodge for design inspiration, using A Simple Start in Christmas Chalk Pastels (only $4.99!). My daughter, Abigail, was immediately drawn to the Christmas tree tutorial and quickly got started planning her project.
Because she was working on a much smaller scale than usual, she spent time thinking about her design. By starting with the star, she made sure there was enough room for everything she wanted to include.
Then she filled the rest of the canvas with the tree, using different shades of green for the layering, and decorated it with colorful ornaments.
Once she finished, we sprayed it with a sealant so the chalk would stay in place. Then it was ready to put into the frame and display on the easel.
In less than 30 minutes from start to finish, Abigail was able to create a unique gift. She was thrilled to discover a new way to share her art with others and I loved that the project was budget friendly.
What homemade gifts are you making with your kids this year?
Latest posts by Megan Zechman (see all)
- Boredom Buster–Create a Summer Fun Box - June 14, 2018
- Homeschooling Middle School vs. Elementary School - April 17, 2018
- When Real Life Disrupts Your Homeschool Routine - February 5, 2018
- 10 Table Manners Every Middle Schooler Should Know - April 24, 2017
- Mini Canvas Chalk Pastel Art–A Frugal Christmas Gift - December 14, 2015