Recently on Facebook a request was made for free resources to go along with the Boxcar Children books. Some good resources, suggestions, and questions were listed in the comments and a post was born.
If you are near Putnam, Connecticut, admission to the Boxcar Children Museum is free!
Some links below are affiliate links.
Boxcar Children Resources
- The Boxcar Children BYFIAR Lapbook – This lapbook was created to go with the resource guide of Beyond Five in a Row, Volume 1, but the post says you could probably use it without the book.
- Learning Activities for Boxcar Children Book 1 – A list of activities to go with the first book.
- Book Test Questions for Book 1 – Fill in the blank and short answer test.
- Surprise Island: Test Facts on the Boxcar Children Book 2 – Activities to go along with the second book.
- Garden of Praise has a page with links to some word study and comprehension pages.
- Lesson Pathways has a three part unit study aimed for third grade level students.
- Better Learning has a Boxcar Children PreReading Instructional Guide that may work for you.
Activities for Boxcar Children Books
- make blueberries and cream
- make a Boxcar Children diorama
- make a pot of Henry, Jessie, Violet & Benny’s stew
- make your own boxcar
- Delightful Learning has a nice selection of activities to choose from like bread, cookies, and cherries related
- make your own Boxcar Children bookmarks
- issue your own Boxcar Children reading challenge
- Joyful Mother of Six Children has a series of blog posts sharing about their Boxcar Children co-op to glean ideas from
If you have a reluctant reader or simply have a child that prefers a more visual style of book, the Boxcar Children now come in Graphic Novels, too.