Recently on Facebook a request was made for free resources to go along with the Boxcar Children books. Some good resources, suggestions, and questions were listed in the comments and a post was born.
If you are near Putnam, Connecticut, admission to the Boxcar Children Museum is free!
Some links below are affiliate links. Post originally published in August 2013.
Boxcar Children Resources
- The Boxcar Children BYFIAR Lapbook – This lapbook was created to go with the resource guide of Beyond Five in a Row, Volume 1, but the post says you could probably use it without the book.
- Learning Activities for Boxcar Children Book 1 – A list of activities to go with the first book.
- Book Test Questions for Book 1 – Fill in the blank and short answer test.
- Surprise Island: Test Facts on the Boxcar Children Book 2 – Activities to go along with the second book.
- Garden of Praise has a page with links to some word study and comprehension pages.
- Lesson Pathways has a three part unit study aimed for third grade level students.
- Better Learning has a Boxcar Children PreReading Instructional Guide that may work for you.
Activities for Boxcar Children Books
- make blueberries and cream
- make a Boxcar Children diorama
- make a pot of Henry, Jessie, Violet & Benny’s stew
- make your own boxcar
- Delightful Learning has a nice selection of activities to choose from like bread, cookies, and cherries related
- make your own Boxcar Children bookmarks
- issue your own Boxcar Children reading challenge
- Joyful Mother of Six Children has a series of blog posts sharing about their Boxcar Children co-op to glean ideas from
If you have a reluctant reader or simply have a child that prefers a more visual style of book, the Boxcar Children now come in Graphic Novels, too.