My solution for healthy and simple snacking? Granola. It’s a versatile family favorite that you can munch on anywhere. If you’re a frugal mom on a budget then you’re in luck, because this version is inexpensive and packs a healthy punch, all with minimal ingredients.
So what makes it so good for you?
Honey: immunity boosting + antioxidants
Wheat germ: high in folic acid + antioxidants + fiber
Oats: high in fiber + protein + removes bad cholesterol + good for your heart
Coconut: immunity boosting (antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial, antiparasitic)
It also tastes amazing!
- 2 cups old fashion oats (not instant)
- ½ cup wheat germ
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut (sweetened will also work and if you have a sweet-tooth this may be your preference)
- ½ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup dried blueberries
- Spread the oats and wheat germ onto a half-sheet pan.
- Place in the oven and toast for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, stir the honey and butter in a small saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Cook until melted and thoroughly blended.
- Once the oats are done, remove it from the oven.
- Combine with blueberries and coconut in a large mixing bowl.
- Reduce the heat to 300 degrees F.
- Slowly add the liquid mixture to your oats and blend until everything is equally moist.
- Pour mixture onto the baking sheet and spread so it's evenly distributed. Place in the oven to bake for 25 minutes or until the oats begin to brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
Are you looking for more healthy & simple snacking solutions that’ll please your sweet tooth? We’ve got a ton of them at Homegrown & Healthy! I recommend you try these simple rice cake toppers, cinnamon apple chips, or nut & seed butter bites.
Aubrey is the editor of Homegrown & Healthy, an online community devoted to sharing recipes, crafts, fitness, to provide inspiration for living a healthy, natural lifestyle. Join us on H&H and receive updates with more nutritious, delicious and frugal meals, or follow us on Facebook) or Twitter.
Latest posts by Jamerrill Stewart (see all)
- FREE April Activities, Crafts, & Projects (limited time!) - April 5, 2019
- FREE Worksheets: All About Tornadoes - March 5, 2019
- FREE Joaquin Sorolla Fine Art Pages (March only!) - March 4, 2019
- FREE March Monthly Meal Plans! - March 1, 2019
- FREE McGruff Child Safe Kit - February 11, 2019