This is a post by Free Homeschool Deals contributor, Erin at Royal Baloo.
Snuggling up under a warm blanket, reading a good book, and drinking hot chocolate. That’s winter to me. And even though we now live in Arizona, where winter just means that we turn our A/C off, we still snuggle deep, read a book, and sip our hot chocolate. There’s just something special about those moments that aren’t the same in summer.
So when winter approaches and we start engaging with winter themes, I get excited. I can feel the snuggly season beginning! Snowmen, snowflakes, arctic animals – they’ll all my favorites! I just knew I had to create a winter counting mat.
These counting mats feature the coolest snowflakes. There are 8 different patterns and they’re just so pretty!
I’ve made mats for numbers 1-10 with space for the snowflakes and space for gems (or other small items like erasers, LEGO, pennies, or whatever you have available!)
To Set Up the Winter Counting Mats
I usually laminate mine to keep them useable for longer. But also because we can write on them with a dry erase marker, if needed.
I also laminated the snowflakes so we could move them around easier. I really like to be able to shift and move things around with the counting mats. We use them for addition and subtraction now so being able to shift them quickly without destroying them is a must.
How to Use the Winter Counting Mats
When learning to count or learning to use a ten frame, these counting mats are quite simple! Pick a mat then add the correct number of gems (or small objects) and the correct number of snowflakes.
If you’d like to work on addition or subtraction, just choose the number mat and use two different types or colors of gems or small objects. You can write down the equation or use the snowflakes by putting them into multiple groups. We also like to find out how many ways we can make that number!
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.
CLICK HERE for more free instant downloads!
Latest posts by Free Homeschool Deals (see all)
- Acorn Letters and Numbers - November 29, 2023
- The Meaning of The 12 Days of Christmas Free Mini-Lesson - November 28, 2023
- Colorful Thanksgiving Turkey Paper Craft - November 22, 2023
- Thanksgiving Coloring Pages Freebie - November 21, 2023
- Fun Thanksgiving Activity Pages - November 20, 2023