If you’ve been homeschooling for any length of time, there’s a good chance you’ve heard the name Charlotte Mason. An educator at the turn of the 20th century, her writings are still valuable today. Our own homeschool has been influenced by her thoughts on things like living books, habit training, and nature study.
Copyright: macondoso / 123RF Stock Photo
Regardless of your homeschooling style or methods, I believe there are things that all homeschoolers can learn from Charlotte Mason. As many of us are wrapping up our current school year and planning out the next, I wanted to share three truths from Charlotte Mason to encourage each of us in this wonderful, but often challenging homeschool journey.
- Education is not meant to be a one-size fits all endeavor.
“Now, Education as we understand it deals entirely with individuals; not with children, but with the child.” Charlotte Mason, Volume 5 – Formation of Character
- Education is more than receiving grades.
“We learn for life, not for the schools.” Charlotte Mason, Volume 5 – Formation of Character
- Education reaches beyond the memorization of facts.
“The question is not, — how much does the youth know? when he has finished his education — but how much does he care? and about how many orders of things does he care? In fact, how large is the room in which he finds his feet set? and, therefore, how full is the life he has before him?” Charlotte Mason, Volume 3 – School Education
These are just a few of the truths Charlotte Mason wrote years ago that are still true today. I highly recommend reading some of her work for more encouragement and inspiration.
Does your homeschool follow a Charlotte Mason education? Have you been thinking about incorporating some of her principles?
For a limited time, you can find many helpful resources in this Charlotte Mason inspired bundle! The bundle consists of 16 wonderful products for $49. It would regularly cost $348 to buy each of these resources individually. Some of the products found in this bundle include:
- The Mystery of History Volume III Audiobook & Folderbook
- Primary Unit Program from Train up a Child Publishing (valued at $95 alone!)
- Wayfarers: Revolution from Barefoot Meandering
- BiblioPlan’s Early Modern: Remember the Days Audiobook
- Writing Through Medieval History
- Charlotte Mason Planners
- High-quality copywork
- A course on Shakespeare
- And More!
Do you need more homeschool encouragement, help, and ideas? Click here for a TON of Homeschool Inspiration!
Latest posts by Gigi (see all)
- Pirate Themed Books & Toys Kids will Love - September 16, 2019
- Free Pirate Writing Printables - September 15, 2019
- Free Pirate Addition Games - September 15, 2019
- Victorio Apple & Potato Peeler & Corer - September 7, 2019
- Apples to Apples Party Box – The Game of Hilarious Comparisons - September 7, 2019