These 12 FREE Lessons About Christmas Traditions in Great Britain will provide a great resource to learn all about the holidays from a different perspective.
Christmas Isn’t Christmas without a little Shakespeare & Dickens!
Christmas in Great Britain is all about tradition. From the songs and dances to the decorations, and of course the food.
Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night gives us a lovely taste of medieval Christmas festivities for the 12th Day (and night) of Christmas, but there’s so much more to learn about the daily feasting celebrations of the days between December 25th and January 6th.
Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol shows off the grand opulence and the extreme poverty of the Victorian Era in England. Many traditions from the medieval time period were carried through into the Victorian era where they were expanded upon and embellished….just like the Christmas decorating and festive holiday games. It was also a time where Christmas traditions from other European countries began to make their way into British society.
12 Days of Christmas Traditions in Great Britain Video Lessons
Each day of the 12 Days of Christmas Traditions in Great Britain series will explore a different aspect of holiday traditions that are still a part of Christmas in England today.
Upper elementary through high school kids will enjoy doing these lessons on their own. Younger kids will have fun too but may need a little more supervision or assistance. Each day contains a video lesson, along with a learning activity or craft…and sometimes both!
Join in the Christmas fun with these 12 FREE lessons:
- Day 1-The Hidden Meaning in The 12 Days of Christmas Song – The lesson & worksheet will help you unravel the mystery of this medieval tune.
- Day 2 – The Christmas Cracker – Who invented then and why? A fun story of perseverance & ingenuity along with instructions on how to make your own Christmas Crackers.
- Day 3 – The History Of Christmas in the UK – A quick look at Christmas in the United Kingdom from ancient times to modern times.
- Day 4 – Christmas Pudding What is a Christmas pudding? It has a history & lore all its own! Enjoy the fun videos and recipes so you can make your own.
- Day 5 – A Dickens Christmas Invention – At the heart of Christmas traditions in Great Britain is Dickens. His writing and life story will forever change how we celebrate this festive winter holiday.
- Day 6: Boar’s Head Carol – another Christmas song with a peculiar history. Learn all about it and how it became so well known in this lesson that includes Christmas carol copy work.
- Day 7 – The History Of The Holly & The Ivy – It’s a song, shrubbery, a decoration, and who knows what else those Victorians did with it! Learn about it all in this lesson that includes a fun craft tutorial.
- Day 8 – The Victorian Mistletoe Ball – Mistletoe Balls were all the rage in HIgh society England in the Victorian Era, but where did this tradition originate? Grab the lesson and find out!
- Day 9 – The Origins of Boxing Day – There are many ideas floating around about the origins of boxing day. Which one do you think is the best?
- Day 10 – Mince Pie – Britons love pie country and not just apple pie! Learn all about this sweet and savory pie and its exotic spices from throughout Queen Victoria’s empire.
- Day 11 – The Yule Log – It’s just a piece of wood… or is it? Explore the meaning and folklore in the history of the Yule log. Find out the perks of helping with this chore in medieval England.
- Day 12 – Medieval Christmas Dance – Of course there is dancing at a medieval party. Learn a medieval Christmas dance in this fun video lesson.
Begin Your 12 Days of Christmas Traditions in Great Britain Today
Start on day one (or the one that looks most interesting). Once you receive your first lesson you will have easy access to all 12 Days of Christmas in Great Britain lessons in one email. No need to waste time signing up for each one. It’s more fun to spend your time enjoying the Festivities of Christmas in Great Britain.
Shannan is a wife and mum. Her home base is in Scotland, where she home educates her two kids and learns on location throughout Europe as much as possible. She is passionate about helping others learn by using the world as their classroom. Join her at Captivating Compass for homeschool and family travel inspiration. Follow her on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & Pinterest.
Grab more Christmas traditions resources below:
- Free Christmas Traditions Online Unit Study
- Christmas in Shakespeare’s Medieval England – FREE Sample Lesson
- Snowman Christmas Ornament Craft
CLICK HERE for hundreds of free homeschool printables!
Be sure to follow the Free Homeschool Printables and Worksheets board on Pinterest!
Latest posts by Free Homeschool Deals (see all)
- FREE Shakespeare Resources for Tweens & Teens - April 8, 2021
- How Partner Reading Can Improve Fluency - January 15, 2021
- 12 FREE Lessons About Christmas Traditions in Great Britain - December 17, 2020
- Christmas Themed Activity Pack with Snacks, Library List & More! - December 4, 2020
- Why We Love All About Learning Press + a Giveaway!! - December 1, 2020