I’m always looking for new ways to use ground beef. I like to have it cooked up ahead of time so that all I have to do is toss it into the dish that I’m cooking. I’ll be honest though, planning ahead isn’t always possible for me, the sidetracked mom. When I’ve not planned ahead, I find it to be one of the easier meats to use from a frozen state. It defrosts fairly quickly in the microwave and it’s relatively inexpensive, compared to many other cuts of meat.
I recently heard of a soup that I had not tried yet. It’s called Cheeseburger Soup. It actually tastes very similar to a cheesy, meat filled potato soup. This recipe was a hit in our family with it’s cheesy deliciousness! I hope your family enjoys it as much as ours did!
Hearty Cheeseburger Soup
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, shredded
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chicken broth (we use chicken broth powder)
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1½ cups milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- In a large pot, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat: cook and stir onions and beef , until beef is brown.
- Stir in celery, carrots, basil and parsley. Add broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil, then simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Melt the remainder of butter and stir in flour. Add the milk, stirring until smooth.
- Gradually add milk mixture to the soup, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Stir in cheese. When cheese is melted, add sour cream and heat through. Do not boil.
Sarah is a large family homeschool mom of 6 kids, from teenagers down to toddlers. She’s been known to get a bit sidetracked from time to time on all of the projects that she wants to get accomplished. She loves using her slow slow cooker and she’s a night owl. She writes about her many adventures on her blog, Sidetracked Sarah.