Need some last minute ideas for Groundhog’s day? We’ve got you covered.
CurrClick has a selection of free and frugal options for groundhog’s day resources, including a lapbook from In the Hands of a Child. Be sure to check those out!
History & Unit Studies
- You can learn about the history of Groundhog’s day on the official Punxsutawney Groundhog Club’s website.
- Groundhog’s day puzzle and activity unit from Intoxicated on Life
- Groundhog’s day crafts, activities, and snacks from Motherhood on a Dime
- Groundhog’s day mini-unit from 2 Teaching Mommies
- Free groundhog theme preschool printables and ideas from Blessed Beyond a Doubt
- Groundhogs study and lapbook from Homeschool Share
- Groundhog day unit and shadow investigation freebie from Sarah’s First Grade Snippets
- Groundhog day unit study resources from Meet Penny
- Groundhog day coloring pages – 10 plain coloring pages, 10 with traceable manuscript phrases, and 10 with traceable cursive writing phrases from In All You Do
- Groundhog day coloring pages from Super Coloring
- Color the groundhog day groundhog worksheet from Education.com
- Groundhog coloring page from Twisty Noodle
Language Arts – Writing
- Groundhog describe the setting worksheet from The Army Wife Teacher
- Groundhog shadow writing book from Kindergarten Goonies
- Free groundhog day spelling list printable from Frugal Homeschool Family
- Happy groundhog day color/handwriting worksheet from Twisty Noodle
- Groundhog writing prompts from Just Wild About Teaching
Language Arts – Reading
- Groundhog’s day lesson on compound words from Blessed Beyond a Doubt
- Wake Up Little Groundhog – Free printable emergent reader from Enchanted Homeschooling Mom
- Alphabet match file folder fun from Making Learning Fun
- Elementary Matters has two fun freebies to practice the consonant +le sound and prefixes and suffixes.
- Groundhog day word search freebie from Creative Lesson Cafe
- Sleepy Little Groundhog – Free printable emergent reader from Enchanted Homeschooling Mom
- Groundhog day ABC freebie from Teach With Laughter
- Groundhog day sight words from Twisty Noodle
- Groundhog’s day activities in Spanish from Angelica Sandoval on Teachers Notebook
- Math ideas for Groundhog themed learning from Making Learning Fun
- Groundhog calendar number printables from Making Learning Fun (you could use these like flash cards or for sequencing)
- Groundhog day graphing activity from Over the Moonbow
- Groundhog counting mat from Ingles 360 on CurrClick
- Groundhog day count down wall decor from Enchanted Homeschooling Mom
- Differentiated groundhog math puzzle from Classroom Freebies
- Groundhog investigation from Sarah’s First Grade Snippets
- Groundhog’s day science activities: shadows from Educating Laytons
- Groundhog day science from Growing With Science
Fun & Games
- A groundhog day fruit snack from Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons
- Groundhog pancakes from Gourmet Mom On-the-Go
- Another way to do groundhog pancakes from The Joys of Boys
- Groundhog headband topper from Classroom Freebies Too
- Groundhog Day felt finger puppet from Rust & Sunshine – free printable instructions!
- Make a fun paper groundhog from Lucky Me!
- Groundhog day printable craft from My Very Educated Mother
- Groundhog hot chocolate from Dixie Delights
- Groundhog day greeting cards from Enchanted Homeschooling Mom
- Peek-a-Boo groundhogs from Tippytoe Crafts
- Chocolate shadow play dough from JDaniel4’s Mom
- Silly songs for kids: How Much Wood Could a Woodchuck Chuck? from Tiny Tapping Toes
- Groundhog slappin’ game from Classroom Freebies
- Draw a groundhog valentine from Craftlog
- Make a groundhog pencil topper craft from Craft Ideas for Kids
- Make a groundhog face mask from Artists Helping Children
- Make a groundhog day board game from Artists Helping Children
Books to Check Out at Your Library
Good books make any subject better. Here are a few ideas to look for at your local library:
- Groundhog Day (Hello Reader Level 1) by Betsy Lewin
- Who Will See Their Shadows This Year? by Jerry Pallotta
- Ten Grouchy Groundhogs by Kathryn Heling
- Groundhog Weather School by Joan Holub
- The Secret of the First One Up by Iris Hiskey Arno
I always like to check out Amazon before heading to my library to get an idea of what books to look for. Here are some more groundhog day book ideas.
Other Groundhog Day Round-Ups
In sourcing this post, I came across a few other round up posts. I am including them here so you can find even more groundhog day fun!
Groundhog graphics by Judy Martin
Here are more free Groundhog Day Resources!